I had to share a new Paleo recipe I have been hooked on lately. I really missed pizza a lot when I stopped eating grains and gluten, like SO MUCH. I love pizza. Who doesn’t?! Obviously, this Paleo spaghetti squash pizza bake is not exactly like pizza texture wise, but it has very similar flavor and is delicious. Let’s not forget that it’s WAY better for you too! Low carb and gluten and dairy free with a good portion of veggies! Think of it like a pizza casserole minus all the carbs and dairy. I seriously crave this Paleo spaghetti squash pizza bake regularly! It is a must try!
You can really use any veggies or meats that you would typically want on your pizza. Be creative! My favorite to use and what the recipe below calls for is: onion, mushrooms, Italian sausage and pepperoni (uncured & natural preferably, I like the Applegate brand).
I like to chop the mushrooms up so that the chunks are not too big, that’s just my preference.
While the spaghetti squash is roasting in the oven, I sauté sausage and onion and mushrooms until the sausage is cooked through and then I toss the pizza sauce and seasoning into the skillet and leave it on low heat until my squash is treaded and in the greased baking dish.
Once you roast your spaghetti squash and and remove the treads, place them in an greased baking dish. I pretty much use coconut oil for everything so it’s no surprise I used the spray to coat my dish. Side note, I have forgotten to grease my dish before and it really did not stick too badly so if you don’t grease it, no big deal.
Then add the skillet mixture to the squash treads and mix in the 3 whisked eggs and you are good to put into the oven! If you eat cheese, I would sprinkle it on the top. I add cheese to Marc’s half when I make it for us. He likes this dish as much as I do and he does not eat Paleo!
- 1 large spaghetti squash (about 600 grams)
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 3 oz. uncured all natural pepperoni (I use Applegate brand), quartered
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz. of mushrooms, chopped (I used baby bellas)
- 1.5 cups pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs, whisked
- Optional: add anything you like with pizza: veggies, basil, cheese, olives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees to get it ready for the spaghetti squash.
- Take a sharp knife and make about 20 small punctures all around the spaghetti squash and microwave for 10 minutes. I like to do this because I find I have a hard time cutting through a raw spaghetti squash, mainly because I have dull knives! If you can cut it in half raw, then skip the microwave step and go straight to baking it. After it comes out of microwave (use pot holder because the squash will be VERY hot!), cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the skin of the squash gives when you press on it. Then reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Once squash is done cooking, use a soup spoon to scrape out the seeds and stringy bits of flesh from inside the squash. Then remove the threads and place in an 8×8 greased baking dish.
- Place a large pan over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and mushrooms and onion. Cook until pink no longer remains in the sausage and it is broken up into pieces.
- Add pizza sauce, quartered pepperoni, dried basil and salt and pepper to the pan and mix well.
- Add sausage mixture to the 8×8 dish and mix well with spaghetti squash threads.
- Lastly, add whisked eggs to the baking dish and mix everything together until you can no longer see the eggs.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
WANT TO BE PART OF THE FUN?! SUBSCRIBE TO LAND OF LOU FOR EXCLUSIVE MEMBERS-ONLY CONTENT & POST NOTIFICATIONS!